[GRASSLIST:10776] Re: issues with grass-6.1.cvs-i686-pc-linux-gnu-01_03_2006: nviz does not work

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Mon Mar 6 16:01:44 EST 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:23:57 -0300
"Carlos \"Guâno\" Grohmann" <carlos.grohmann at gmail.com> wrote:

> one can't install qgis-grass-plugin because it depends on
> libgdal1-grass.
>
> libgdal1-grass:
>  Depends: libgdal1c2 (>=1.2.6) but it is not installable
>
> why? because there is no package called ligdal1c2, but there is
> ligdal1c2a....

Carlos,

Build gdal-grass from source then. Fetch it from here:

http://www.gdal.org/dl/gdal-grass-1.3.1.1.tar.gz

I've been using it. No problems. IMHO it is easier and safer to:

1. build Gdal from source
2. build Grass from source
3. build Gdal-Grass plugin from source
4. build Qgis from source

(3 and 4 order doesn't really matter)

Than to proceed as you suggest:

> 1 - install GDAL via synaptic
> 2 - compile GRASS from source
> 3 - remove GDAL via synaptic
> 4 - compile GDAL from source (use --with-grass=path-to-your-install)
> 5 - compile GRASS again with your new GDAL
> 6 - compile QGIS (use --with-grass=path-to-your-install).

I also recommend using checkinstall->dpkg instaed of plain "make
install". Using custom debs is good better software management and
sanity.

Note: I have just noticed a newer gdal-grass plugin version of March
1st:
http://www.gdal.org/dl/gdal-grass-1.3.1.2.tar.gz

Anybody knows if it is recommended? 1.3.1.1 is OK for me by now. Does
anybody know what are the changes?

Maciek