[GRASS-user] gdal_version.h for gdal-1.2.5-1.i586.rpm

Lawrence Houston grass at greenfield.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 23 23:10:45 EST 2007

GRASS Users:

The only GDAL RPM I found which does NOT fail dependencies when installing
under RHEL3/CentOS3 is an older one which I downloaded a while back, which
I can NOT locate now in my Web Searching: gdal-1.2.5-1.i586.rpm (which was
for an older Release of GRASS, possibly for a SuSE 9x Build of
GRASS6.0???):

Name        : gdal                         Relocations: /usr/local
Version     : 1.2.5                             Vendor: GDF Hannover bR <http://www.gdf-hannover.de>
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Mon 07 Feb 2005 08:15:39 AM EST
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host: tatzi
Group       : Applications/GIS              Source RPM: gdal-1.2.5-1.src.rpm
Size        : 10267601                         License: MIT licence;
Copyright by Frank Warmerdam
Signature   : (none)
Packager    : Otto Dassau <info at gdf-hannover.de>
URL         : http://gdal.org/
Summary     : GDAL - a translator library for raster geospatial data
formats
Description :

GDAL is a translator library for raster geospatial data formats. As a library,
it presents a single abstract data model to the calling application for all
supported formats. An initial skeleton of GDAL has formed, and operates for a
few formats.

Although configure is satisfied with the presence of GDAL, at build time
there is a missing "gdal_version.h" which causes some of the Vector
Modules to fail at compile time...  I fashioned an "gdal_version.h" after
the "gdal_version.h" included within the newer GDAL RPMs, after which my
GRASS 6.2.1 Build reports NO Errors???  My hand crafted "gdal_version.h"
looks as follows:

/* -------------------------------------------------------------------- */
/*      GDAL Version Information.                                       */
/* -------------------------------------------------------------------- */

#ifndef GDAL_VERSION_MAJOR
#  define GDAL_VERSION_MAJOR    1
#  define GDAL_VERSION_MINOR    2
#  define GDAL_VERSION_REV      5
#  define GDAL_VERSION_BUILD    1
#endif

#ifndef GDAL_VERSION_NUM
#  define GDAL_VERSION_NUM      (GDAL_VERSION_MAJOR*1000+GDAL_VERSION_MINOR*100+GDAL_VERSION_REV*10+GDAL_VERSION_BUILD)
#endif

#ifndef GDAL_RELEASE_DATE
#  define GDAL_RELEASE_DATE     20041121
#endif
#ifndef GDAL_RELEASE_NAME
#  define GDAL_RELEASE_NAME     "1.2.5.1"
#endif

Should GRASS 6.2.1 built against GDAL 1.2.5 produce Vector Routines which
will perform "correctly" or should it be built against a newer version (in
spite of being unable to find a RPM which does NOT fail dependencies
installing under RHEL3/CentOS3???  Could the GRASS 6.2 Code be made smart
enough the be able to handle the lack of a "gdal_version.h" for GDAL 1.2.5
(previous GRASS Releases did build without errors against this "older"
version of GDAL)???

Lawrence Houston  --  (grass at greenfield.dyndns.org)