[GRASS-user] lidar data - nnbathy x bspline

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 00:02:08 EST 2007

Carlos wrote:
> > - I did a test on an area 3.2x0.9 km, with 1m resolution, and it
> > worked fine. When I changed the resolution to 0.25m, I got an error
> > msg:
> >
> >> GRASS_INFO_ERROR(12405,3): Interpolation: The region resolution is
> >> too high: 46080000.000000 cells. Consider to change it.

the current limit is 30000000 /* about 5500x5500 cells */
in vector/lidar/v.surf.bspline/main.c

Roberto Antolin wrote:
> Due to allocation memory problems I have to constrain the number of
> total cell.
> I have to try to resolve this. Anyway, do you really need a 3km^2 DTM
> with such a resolution? ;)

You should let the GRASS libgis memory allocation functions worry about
that, not impose arbitrary limits in a module. Some people have access
to huge computers with lots of resources; or put another way, what is a
massive amount of memory today might be common 3-5 years from now.

At minimum consider changing the G_fatal_error() to a G_warning().

regards,
Hamish