[GRASS-user] Encountering an error importing shapefiles with v.in.ogr

Raffaele Morelli raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 05:14:20 EDT 2007

2007/3/21, Thomas Adams <Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov>:

> Raffaele,
>
> After further testing, I do see the same problem you have had,
> namely,"(some) areas which are not available after using v.in.ogr." This
> is very apparent if I randomly color the polygons — some do not get
> filled. Also, if I do a v.to.rast conversion, I get holes in the newly
> created raster.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts on this?
>
> Regards,
> Tom

Did you try patching adjacent shapes (2 or more) coming from ArcGIS and see
what happens to the resulting?
In this case I see some polygons lost area, even if each input shape is
correctly displayed.

Can you do this further test?

Cleaning the result shape using a simple
v.clean input=x output=x_clean tool=bpol,rmdupl error=err (as suggested in
v.clean man pages to deal with vector originating from shape files)
gives a better result but still I have polygons without area.

thanx
raffaele