[GRASS-user] need help with mac os x installation

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Sep 3 08:36:45 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

As we will finally switch our GIS teaching to GRASS/QGIS, I now need to
help our professor to install these on her Mac OS X 10.4.10.

I decided to use 6.2.

I started with William's port at
http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/unixport/grass, first installing all
the frameworks, then grass. However, when I try to launch grass I get a
message about there being a problem with the wish command. A 'which
wish' in a terminal show /usr/bin/wish. Do I need to install another
version of tcl/tk for GRASS ?

I also tried Lorenzo's http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/. This
runs, but several commands make the GUI crash (v.surf.rst, r.contours).

So, several questions: any recommendation about which OS X port to use ?
What are the differences ?

And any ideas what causes the troubles in each of the two I've tried ?

Thanks,
Moritz