[GRASS-user] need help with mac os x installation

Stuart Edwards sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com
Mon Sep 3 11:25:25 EDT 2007

...... very timely.  Just spent the best part of two weeks struggling
with this topic. Several variables involved.  Intel, PPC, 6.2,
6.3cvs, Lorenzo or Kyng.  Started out with Lorenzo on Intel using
6.3cvs -- as you say, too buggy for production work.  On PPC
sometimes 6.2 works better, sometimes 6.3cvs.  Again, turns out to be
too buggy. (as an aside I'm trying remember enough of the problems to
put together a list for a future post).

Then, as a last resort I tried Kyng GRASS 6.3cvs (had problems trying
to get his earlier binaries to run) on both Intel and PPC and once
you get it set up, it works like a charm -- no bugs thus far (after 3
or 4 days work).  I did find that the order of installation is
important -- make sure you have the X11 windowing system installed
first.  It's not part of OSX but there is a copy on the OSX
installation disc.  Tricky to find but it's there.  Then the
frameworks (use the 'install them all' package) and finally GRASS
6.3cvs.

Having used Lorenzo's binaries for a while (circa 6.1), always found
them reliable.  But with the new GUI, Intel issues and the need for
Rosetta, different windowing system -- too much seems to go wrong and
it's incredibly time consuming trying to figure out what is causing a
particular problem (including the initial presumption that it's an
'infrequent user - operator error'!).  Kyng GRASS is compiled
natively for the Intel chip and so cuts out the overhead and errors
of Rosetta, and by sticking to the 'tried and true' X11 system cuts
out the GUI errors.  It's much snappier too, even though the GUI is
not as 'Mac' as Lorenzo's.   IMO, Kyng GRASS is the only way to go
for Mac users at the current time.

All that being said, thanks to both for working on making GRASS
available to us unix-impaired OSX users -- it's a great service that
you provide.

Hope that helps  --

Stu