[GRASS-user] need help with mac os x installation

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 00:48:51 EDT 2007

Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Yes, I saw that. Will have to install 6.3 then. I was a bit afraid of
> putting the professor in front of the "unstable" version. It's been very
> stable for me in Debian, but I wasn't sure for Mac.

I too prefer to keep the Macs in our student lab using stable versions.
A new user can never know if a problem is a bug or some mistake they
made. Often they just think the software is too hard and give up, or if
they determine it is a small bug they write the whole software off as
buggy and give up. Trying to learn on beta-software for the first time is
very frustrating. For another thing stable takes less time to support.

As for power users they can do whatever they want, but from hard
experience doing production number crunching I've found it safer (& more
citable+reproducible) using well tested code, if you don't absolutely
need some new feature.

Stable versions of QGIS and GRASS can still be used independently, yes?
Just not starting QGIS from the GRASS prompt?
Is the problem with the gdal-grass plugin (& why would the GRASS version
matter to recent code from GDAL?) or is it the GRASS module toolbox
which expects to see 6.3?

Hamish