[GRASS-user] need help with mac os x installation

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Sep 7 09:47:20 EDT 2007

On Sep 6, 2007, at 11:48 PM, Hamish wrote:

> Stable versions of QGIS and GRASS can still be used independently,
> yes?
> Just not starting QGIS from the GRASS prompt?
> Is the problem with the gdal-grass plugin (& why would the GRASS
> version
> matter to recent code from GDAL?) or is it the GRASS module toolbox
> which expects to see 6.3?

My Qgis builds are linked to the GRASS 6.3 libraries because I had
some crashing problems when linked to 6.2.

I also removed the embedded GRASS libraries (for minimal GRASS
support without needing GRASS), because changes in Qgis GRASS plugin
made that minimal support nothing - it used to be that if a full
GRASS wasn't found, but the libraries allowed the plugin binary to
load, one could at least add GRASS data to a map read-only without
opening a mapset.  Now, if GRASS isn't fond, the plugin doesn't load
at all.

I don't think Qgis uses GDAL to access GRASS data, even read-only
without GRASS tools capabilities.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy