[GRASS-user] Legend with multiple columns - scale

Casey Vandenberg casey.vandenberg at sjgeophysics.com
Wed Nov 19 17:17:15 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of Grass and have run into a bit of a snag.  I am
currently trying to create a legend with multiple columns (3).  I can
place the legend on my map without difficulties, however the problem
arises when I try and move it.  Based on the map in question, I want the
legend displayed on the left hand side of my map.  As I alter the
legend's x location (where /x/ /y/) to bring the legend closer to the
left edge of the map, the spacing between the columns increases
substantially (i.e. the legend seems to be maintaining a link to the
right edge of the map and is just increasing the spacing between the
columns so that the left edge of the legend matches the /where x
/position).  The problem with this is that it is not graphically
appealing whatsoever.

Is there anyway that I can specify the width of the column itself so
that the spacing is reduced?  Or is there any way that I can remove that
"link" with the right hand edge of the map so the legend moves freely
along the x axis without being stretched out?

Also with regards to my scalebar.  Is there any way that I can change
the text of the scalebar so that the units are in km instead of metres?
Right now I am using a map at a scale of 1:500 000, and I would rather
my scalebar display 100 km as opposed to 100 000 metres.