[GRASS-user] Legend with multiple columns - scale

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 05:44:06 EST 2008

Casey Vandenberg wrote:
> I am new to the world of Grass and have run into a bit of a
> snag.  I am currently trying to create a legend with
> multiple columns (3).  I can place the legend on my map
> without difficulties, however the problem arises when I try
> and move it.  Based on the map in question, I want the
> legend displayed on the left hand side of my map.  As I
> alter the legend's x location (where /x/ /y/) to bring
> the legend closer to the left edge of the map, the spacing
> between the columns increases substantially (i.e. the legend
> seems to be maintaining a link to the right edge of the map
> and is just increasing the spacing between the columns so
> that the left edge of the legend matches the /where x
> /position).  The problem with this is that it is not
> graphically appealing whatsoever.
>
> Is there anyway that I can specify the width of the column
> itself so that the spacing is reduced?  Or is there any way
> that I can remove that "link" with the right hand
> edge of the map so the legend moves freely along the x axis
> without being stretched out?

There is don't-go-off-the-edge code in there as you suspect. (see
ps/ps.map/ps_vlegend.c) Can you file a wish/bug in the tracker
for that? preferably with an example from the spearfish or North
Carolina test datasets + screenshots of the issue.

for now you can play with the paper margins; but is it the paper margin
or the map-box margin which is the limit?

> Also with regards to my scalebar.  Is there any way that I
> can change the text of the scalebar so that the units are in
> km instead of metres?  Right now I am using a map at a scale
> of 1:500 000, and I would rather my scalebar display 100 km
> as opposed to 100 000 metres.

this has recently been added in grass 6.4, you'll need to compile from
a SVN snapshot to get it. see the online ps.map help page for details.

Hamish