[GRASS-user] Grass and Postgre limitation (if any)

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Apr 6 05:55:07 EDT 2009

On 05/04/09 19:10, Jarek Jasiewicz wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have short question.
>
> I'm prepraring to create huge dataset, where data for different regions
> will be stored in different mapset but with the same structure of data
> (names of files and so on). The number of planned mapset is about
> 200-230, with about 10 postgreeSQL tables in every mapset. IT gives
> about 2000-2300 tables in one database. Tables will be use datatypes
> unique for postgreeSQL contribs so different databes solution cannot be
> used.
>
> The question is is some of the numbers above are not close to these
> program limitation (i.e number of mapset)
> or number of tables

I'm not sure for GRASS, but I think that in both cases the limits will
be mostly defined by your OS (i.e. max number of sub-directories or max
number of files), and not by the program.

You can try it out in a test location, loopping through g.mapset -c
commands to see whether you reach a limit at one point.

Moritz