[GRASS-user] r.patch not working

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Apr 15 11:09:52 EDT 2009

On Apr 15, 2009, at 12:46 AM, <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org> <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org
 > wrote:

> Renae,
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Renae Mackas <rmackas at sfu.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Hello GRASS users-
>>
>> I am trying to mosaic colourcomposites from LANDSAT images.  A few
>> weeks ago, I had luck doing this using r.patch with the -z flag
>> such as below:
>>
>> r.patch -z input=020.020.2000.055_rgb,021.020.2000.014_rgb,
>> 021.021.2000.142_rgb,022.020.2000.005_rgb output=mosaic
>>
>> When I try doing this now however, r.patch does not seem to be
>> working.  In the output window, it shows a red cirle with an "X" in
>> it next to the command, but does not print any error message
>> below.  I have tried patching even just the original rasters
>> (rather than the rgb composites), and continue to get the same
>> results.
>>
>> Since the initial (successful) attempts with r.patch, I have
>> extended the boundaries of the region I am working with and
>> imported rasters from other locations.  All of the image rasters
>> are currently within the region boundaries though.  Is there any
>> reason why the changes I have made would have changed how r.patch
>> functions?  Any suggestions of how to get it working again?
>
> r.patch (like almost all rast commands) respect the current region.
> You need to first set the  current region to all raster maps of
> interest,
> then run r.patch:
>
> g.region rast=020.020.2000.055_rgb,021.020.2000.014_rgb,
> 021.021.2000.142_rgb,022.020.2000.005_rgb
> -p
>
> r.patch ...
>
> Hope this helps
> Markus

You don't say which GRASS version you are running and which platform
you are using. Recently, we've run into the problem that random
modules like r.patch do not work or work intermittently in Windows
Vista using the OSGEO4W installer of GRASS 6.4RC3. A new binary
installer for GRASS 6.4RC4 hopefully solves this problem.

Michael