[GRASS-user] Re: Georectify problem

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Dec 2 12:11:44 EST 2009

If you have a second python and it is in your python path, you'll have
trouble. Do you know what the Macports "python_select" script does?

You really don't need to install any extra Python because your Mac
already comes with Python 2.6, the most up-to-date of the 2.x series.
It should not be necessary to run anything downloaded from MacPorts as
any Python app should use the system Python unless it needs an earlier
version. If MacPorts is installing 2.3 or 2.4 this could be a pretty
big headache since GRASS requires at least 2.4 and possibly 2.5 or
above to run its wxPython GUI (we've tried not to break 2.4
compatibility but I haven't tested it). I've heard of other people
having trouble with conflicts from MacPorts. I uses to use Fink but
ran into some of the same issues. And by now I don't really need it
since many applications are now available on the Mac in a more native
way. You might try getting rid of the MacPorts Python and see if GRASS
run--and if MacPorts Python apps still run.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

Phone: 480-965-6262