[GRASS-user] d.mon and libgdal.so.1 on a cluster

Jose Miguel Martins Delgado jdelgado at gfz-potsdam.de
Wed Feb 18 14:20:55 EST 2009

Dear GRASS users,

I am doing the first steps on GRASS on a cluster in my institute. After
logging in:

ssh -X name_of_machine

I launch grass63. When trying to start a monitor, say x0, it returns:

    GRASS 6.3.0 > d.mon start=x0
    ERROR: no such monitor 'x0'
    ERROR: No such monitor as 'x0'
    Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
    ERROR: No such monitor as 'x0'

When listing the monitors:

    name description
    ---- -----------
    PNG Create PNG file
    png1 Create PNG file
    png2 Create PNG file
    png3 Create PNG file
    png4 Create PNG file
    png5 Create PNG file
    png6 Create PNG file
    png7 Create PNG file
    gism Create PNG file for gis.m
    HTMLMAP Create HTML Image Map
    PS Create PS file
    ps1 Create PS file
    ps2 Create PS file
    ps3 Create PS file
    ps4 Create PS file
    ps5 Create PS file
    ps6 Create PS file
    ps7 Create PS file

So, no graphics monitor available to start.

    Another problem is one that I am having both on the cluster and on
    my personal computer: v.in.ogr does not work.
    GRASS 6.3.0 > v.in.ogr
    v.in.ogr: error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.1: cannot

I already know that some symbolic links must be made before proceeding,
but the problem is that my "ldconfig" is running weird and returning

    jdelgado at jdelgado-laptop:~$ ldconfig
    /sbin/ldconfig.real: ?e is not a known library type
    /sbin/ldconfig.real: ???@*k?Q-??V????P???N\|?

    etc...

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Greetings

Jose Delgado