[GRASS-user] tables connection in database

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Jun 26 05:50:55 EDT 2009

On 26/06/09 11:30, achim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think I am not the only one having problems with getting the
> connection "vector geometry features" - "attribute table" (for me its a
> sqlite db at the moment). ;-)
>
> So I wonder how is the default way to deal with vector layers to
> establish a metadata table to each geometry object?

Normally, categories are added and a table is automatically created at
vector import, or, by default, at digitalisation. But some modules do
not create a table as they wouldn't know what to put in it (and a table
with just cat values is not very useful as such).

> I always have the problem that the table is empty. And adding category
> is not enough to add an entry for every geometry object... well.

After adding the category, you have to upload it to the table with v.to.db.

If you do not even have a table connected to the map, you can run the
script v.db.addtable which creates the table (by running an SQL query)
and then adds the category values to it (with v.to.db).

Moritz