[GRASS-user] Testing two vectors for equality

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 27 00:23:26 EDT 2009

Michael Perdue wrote:
> Is there a way to test if two vectors
> are identical, including their attribute tables? i.e., I've
> changed some code and now I want to test that the results
> are the same. Is there an easy way to do this?

not really. In the past I've used 'diff' on the command line to compare
that the binary files in vector/ are exactly the same, as well as the DBs
in dbf/. Seemed to work ok. If you test that the two vector dirs are the
same with 'diff' it came back as only the timestamps in the map history
metadata changing.

for raster maps I added a wish for a r.md5sum module or a new flag to
r.univar for that. Maybe something similar could be done for v.univar?
(only based on "live" features?)  https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/618

Hamish