[GRASS-user] Importing .csv table into GRASS

JanaKr jkrajc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 05:35:25 EDT 2009

Hi everybody, thanks for suggestions; In between I've posted some comments
and wondered why there was no answer to them - now I realized that I've
simply replied to the people sending the comments, not the grass-user forum.
Sorry for the confusion. Here, once more, I attach what I wanted to write to
the grass user forum:

2-nd mail (reply to Moritz):
Actually, the .csv table was made from .dbf table of an existing vector map.
The problem is that I want to use v.db.join to transfer one attribute from
that table to another vector map through a common key; When I tried
v.db.join directly on the .dbf table, it said the .dbf format is not
supported. I am affraid  v.in.ascii will produce a .dbf table, so it does
not serve my purpose.

3-rd mail (reply to Hamish):
Thanks for suggestions. In between I took a "way of least resistance"  and
achieved my goal by a couple of OpenOffice Calc  operations directly on .dbf
files (instead of using db.in.ogr + v.db.join). However, the method of using
this sequence of commands (db.in.ogr + v.db.join) is recommended and used in
an example in Neteler, Mitasova, 2008: Open Source GIS and GRASS GIS
Approach (Third Edition) - page 180. Therefore, I would like to find out
what's the problem - is there a bug in the GRASS modules, or my .csv file in
not OK?

Thanks for your patience,

Jana