[GRASS-user] R and GRASS-windows (readRAST6 problem, installation)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Nov 3 02:13:43 EST 2009

Please also give your verbatim command and full output including the output
of traceback() issued after the error, as readRAST6() may use the GRASS GDAL
plugin if available, a temporary file with r.out.gdal and readGDAL(), or
r.out.bin and a custom function to read binary raster files. Also do this
for GISDBASE and location variants that do work.

Roger Bivand wrote:

> For questions of this kind, please use the statgrass list.
>
> When you repeat your question on that list, please include sessionInfo()
> with all information including your locale, and full GRASS details, that
> is what GRASS version, how installed (there are many different variants,
> which version of the standalone installer), how used (Rterm.exe, Rgui.exe,
> ...), from which terminal R was started, and verbatim output of gmeta6().
>
> Using spaces in path variables is never a good idea anyway, but it might
> be possible to add an extra layer of protection. Without knowing your
> exact system specifications will however make your report difficult to
> reproduce.
>
> Roger
>

> Martin Maier-2 wrote:
>>
>> Hello at all
>>
>> I use R to do statistics of some GRASS data. On the windows machines (XP
>> and W2K) there occurred a problem when using the readRAST6 command form
>> the spgrass6 library. I think the problem is linked to the standard
>> installation of the GRASS standalone installer.
>>
>> The standalone installer creates a folder named "GIS DataBase" under "My
>> Documents". To test where the problem is, I moved the folder "GIS
>> DataBase" to D:\
>>
>> Now I started R from within the new GRASS wxpython GUI. Within R I
>> loaded spgrass6 ("library(spgrass6)"). Then the command readRAST6 fails.
>> After renaming "GIS DateBase" to "GISDataBase" (and of course new start
>> of GRASS and R) everything with the readRAST6 command works fine.
>>
>> So my guess is, that the readRAST6 command can not handle the blanks in
>> the paths and on the other hand the installation of GRASS under windows
>> with the standalone installer creates a default GIS database with a
>> blank in the folder name. So probably it would be a good idea to change
>> "GIS DataBase" to "GISDataBase". But then there is still the blank in
>> "My Documents"!
>>
>> Can anyone confirm this, and should I file a bug report?
>>
>> Martin

-----
Roger Bivand
Economic Geography Section
Department of Economics
Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway