[GRASS-user] g.region Options Yield Different Values

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 23 09:40:37 EST 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Glynn Clements wrote:

> It doesn't make any sense to specify lat/lon boundaries for projected
> data, particularly for a non-cylindrical projection such as LCC.

Glynn,

   That's true. I've obviously erred when creating new locations and
importing .shp and .e00 files.

   I've used the wxPython GUI to define new locations and the mapset. When I
specify choosing the projection from the list and select LCC I'm asked to
enter the relevant projection parameters. I then specify NAD83 as the datum
and the Washington-Oregon adjustment. Finally, I'm asked if I want to enter
the default region's extent and resolution. This is where I enter the
lat/long coordinates I have.

   Perhaps it's this last step that I have wrong. Should I decline to enter
the extents and resolution and leave those to the information embedded in
the imput data?

   As I've written before it's been a very long time since I last used GRASS
and quite likely that I've mis-used the new GUI.

Thanks,

Rich