[GRASS-user] g.region Options Yield Different Values

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Nov 23 17:51:47 EST 2009

Rich Shepard wrote:

>    That's true. I've obviously erred when creating new locations and
> importing .shp and .e00 files.
>
>    I've used the wxPython GUI to define new locations and the mapset. When I
> specify choosing the projection from the list and select LCC I'm asked to
> enter the relevant projection parameters. I then specify NAD83 as the datum
> and the Washington-Oregon adjustment. Finally, I'm asked if I want to enter
> the default region's extent and resolution. This is where I enter the
> lat/long coordinates I have.
>
>    Perhaps it's this last step that I have wrong.

Yes. If you create a projected location, you need to enter projected
coordinates.

> Should I decline to enter
> the extents and resolution and leave those to the information embedded in
> the imput data?

I think that you may need to enter something here, but it doesn't have
to be correct, and you can change it later.

The current region is usually ignored when importing maps. Vector maps
will contain cartographic coordinates. Raster maps will either have
its bounds stored in metadata, or you will get clearly bogus bounds
and have to set the correct bounds manually with r.region afterwards.

If you have imported a vector map or a raster map with the correct
bounds, you can set the current and/or default region from the map.