[GRASS-user] g.region Options Yield Different Values

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 23 18:03:35 EST 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Yes. If you create a projected location, you need to enter projected
> coordinates.

Glynn,

   And if they're available only as lat/long geographic coordinates ...?

> I think that you may need to enter something here, but it doesn't have to
> be correct, and you can change it later.

   OK.

> The current region is usually ignored when importing maps. Vector maps
> will contain cartographic coordinates. Raster maps will either have its
> bounds stored in metadata, or you will get clearly bogus bounds and have
> to set the correct bounds manually with r.region afterwards.

   I know that the .prj and .e00 files have the projection information and
cartographic coordinates so I use those. It's creating a new, empty location
that seems to be giving me the problems.

> If you have imported a vector map or a raster map with the correct bounds,
> you can set the current and/or default region from the map.

   True. And then I can identify the values, too.

Much appreciated,

Rich