[GRASS-user] Very high resolution topographic map of Europe: need help and advices: UPDATE

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Sep 19 19:15:51 EDT 2009

Felix Schalck wrote:
> Looks like we all agree on this. I'm sure there was a good reason
> behind adopting ESRI file geodatabase, like the 2Gb file limit of
> previously used ms access dbs, but adopting ONLY ESRI formats is
> definitely not very public-friendly. Now, I'm sure that each new short
> message left int Mr Vogt Message box
> (juergen.vogt(-at/arobase-)jrc.ec.europa.eu), contributes to increase
> our chances to get the data published in a another format. Hermann
> Pfeffer, from the eea (european environment agency) just wrote me that
> an existing eu law obliging all eu-institutions to respond to public
> inquiries within 2 weeks, further increasing our chances to get an
> answer.

Felix,

I am convinced that the EEA will respond. FYI, you can have a look at a
similar "discussion" concerning the CORINE land cover which took place
some months ago [1][2][3][4][5].

As an extra-sidenote: I never got a reply from the official authority in
Greece (although I've contacted 2-3 times by e-mail) who sells the
(public domain) CORINE data at *high* prices.

Best regards, Nikos
---

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geodata/2009-January/000801.html
[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geodata/2009-January/000807.html