[GRASS-user] GUI freeze when trying to change legend

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Sep 29 07:13:58 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Michael Denslow
<michael.denslow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Grass,
>
> I am having a problem when I try to change the legend for my raster
> file using to GUI. This happens even if I select a new legend to add.
> As soon as I select the raster map from the list Grass freezes for
> several minutes.
>
> Perhaps it is a problem with the raster file or the rules file,
> however it runs fine when I run the command in the terminal. I would
> like to do this in the GUI since I am not sure how to do all of my map
> resizing and saving as .tif from the command line.
>
> Can someone please advise me on this?
>
> I am using Grass 6.4 with standard GUI (not Python)
> System is Mac OS 10.6.1

Hi Michael.

idea:
a problem could be that the color table of the map has more than 8000
entries. In that case the X Window system becomes very slow.

Suggestion: make a copy of the map (g.copy) and apply a gyr colortable
or likewise to see if the behaviour changes. If not, the problem is elsewhere
and to be investigated. If yes, you may post more details about the map
in order to suggest an optimized color table.

Markus