[GRASS-user] GADM & Polygon files in general

Thomas, Timothy (IFPRI) T.S.Thomas at cgiar.org
Mon Aug 9 09:19:54 EDT 2010

I sent this originally on 8/5/2010, but it never got posted.

I have been using GRASS for 5 months.  I feel pretty good about writing
code for processing and manipulating rasters.  But I seem to have
trouble with vectors.  My goal was to import GADM (well-known admin
boundary file) into GRASS.  I have it as a shapefile.  It is around a
gigabyte in size.  It has taken me nearly 3 months (with the computer
grinding away for most of the three months, night and day) in importing
a country at a time, then merging them together.

Does anybody already have GADM in GRASS format?  Second, is there any
way to import polygon files more efficiently or effectively?

Thanks for your help!

   Tim

Timothy S. Thomas

Research Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)

2033 K St. NW, Washington, DC 20006-1002 (Room 5035)

t.s.thomas at cgiar.org         www.ifpri.org

(w) +1-202-862-4605         (f) +1-202-467-4439

skype: timothy.s.thomas