[GRASS-user] Importing multiple files with r.in.xyz

Hanlie Pretorius hanlie.pretorius at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 09:07:11 EDT 2010

2010/8/11, Micha Silver <micha at arava.co.il>:
> Samber's method will surely work, but you might more simply try as follows:
>
> # start grass in a location which matches the txt file data
> # change to the directory where your txt files are, then do
> for infile in *.txt; do outrast=`basename ${infile} .txt`; r.in.xyz
> in=${infile} out=${outrast} fs=,; done

This works nicely, except that my input files have names like:
3B42.000201.0.6.nc.lieb.txt
3B42.000201.3.6.nc.lieb.txt

and I want the output rasters to be named
3B42.000201.0.6
3B42.000201.3.6

In fact, it would be best if they could be named:
0201.0.6
0201.3.6

I'm struggling with this string manipulation in the shell scripting language.