[GRASS-user] GRASS bash scripting - best practice questions

a. o. ytrapaet at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 21 14:45:48 EDT 2010

I'm new to GRASS, but not GIS.  I am trying to clarify several uses of bash scripting in GRASS.
I have GRASS installed at C:\Program Files\GRASS-64
Q1) In my first test script I ran, I noticed that I could run test.sh with "sh test.sh"but this script ran when I put it in C:\Program Files\GRASS-64and also ran if I instead put it in C:\Program Files\GRASS-64\binI'm wondering what is best practice of where to put your bash scripts and how to organize them?
Q2) I'm going to be looking into running bash scripts that loop the same operation on many different files. I am wondering to start experimenting with this, do I first need to import all the files I want to work with into a particular GRASS database? or can GRASS do this kind of operation regardless of what database it is running? I guess I can reword this question as what would be the best practice to bash scripting a loop that iterates through many files.
Q3) I'm also just learning bash scripting (for example I'm not yet sure how to run a .sh if it is in some other directory in bin without writing out the full path). On this note, I am wondering if there is a windows program that I can install where I can practice bash in the windows environment - without specifically running GRASS?
Thanks for you help!ao