[GRASS-user] Commands on Cygwin vs native windows

Chethan S chethanuniversal at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 11:01:40 EDT 2010

Hello!

I am in the process of learning to use GRASS. I mainly use it in ubuntu. I
wanted to try it in windows as well. I noticed that there are several
download options for it. Though I am a naive user with regard to command
line, I have slowly begun to like command line.

My questions, some are really basic. Please excuse me if I am wrong.

   1. Is the GRASS manual at
   http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/index.html written for
   UNIX based OS users or windows users?
   2. Which option provides maximum advantage with regard to usage -
   stand-alone windows version or cygwin based one. And why?
   3. I wonder if I would be able to run UNIX like commands - module
   [-flag1[flag2...]] parameter1=map1[,map2,...]\
   [parameter2=number...] [--o] [--q] [--v] in windows as well in GUI based
   version or do I need cygwin based one for such work.

Regards,

Chethan S.