[GRASS-user] Commands on Cygwin vs native windows

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Aug 28 14:15:58 EDT 2010

Chethan S wrote:

> I am in the process of learning to use GRASS. I mainly use it in ubuntu. I
> wanted to try it in windows as well. I noticed that there are several
> download options for it. Though I am a naive user with regard to command
> line, I have slowly begun to like command line.
>
> My questions, some are really basic. Please excuse me if I am wrong.
>
>    1. Is the GRASS manual at
>    http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/index.html written for
>    UNIX based OS users or windows users?

Unix, although there isn't really much difference between the two. To
the extent that there is a difference, some features only work on Unix
(e.g. d.mon).

OTOH, the native version gets more testing than the Cygwin version.

>    2. Which option provides maximum advantage with regard to usage -
>    stand-alone windows version or cygwin based one. And why?

Some of the "Unix-only" features work in Cygwin but don't work
natively. But that's probably not significant enough to choose Cygwin
for that reason alone.

If you already use Cygwin, the Cygwin version will better integrate
with the rest of Cygwin. If you don't use Cygwin, the native version
will better integrate with the rest of Windows.

>    3. I wonder if I would be able to run UNIX like commands - module
>    [-flag1[flag2...]] parameter1=map1[,map2,...]\
>    [parameter2=number...] [--o] [--q] [--v] in windows as well in GUI based
>    version or do I need cygwin based one for such work.

You can use the command line with the native Windows version, either
with the Windows shell (cmd.exe) or with bash.