[GRASS-user] Displaying layers - GRASS 6.4.0RC7 with MSYS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Aug 29 09:13:08 EDT 2010

Chethan S wrote:

> I natively use GRASS in ubuntu but wanted to try it in windows as well. I
> use GRASS 6.4.0RC7 with MSYS and referring to Open Source GIS -  A GRASS
> Approach I wanted to display layers using following commands for the sample
> North Carolina dataset -
>
> g.region rast=elevation -p
> d.erase
>
> d.rast elevation
> d.his h=elevation i=elevation_shade and so on...
>
> Prior to all these there was d.mon x0 command. It resulted in an
> error.

d.mon is the main feature which doesn't work natively in Windows. All
d.* commands operating by generating an image file (by default, the
file map.png in the current directory). For screen display, use one of
the GUIs, or open the map.png file in a viewer which provides a quick
way to reload the current file.

Also, note that d.mon has been removed altogether in GRASS 7.