[GRASS-user] r.shaded.relief visual banding

Patrick Dolan pdolan39 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 00:34:52 EST 2010

Dylan, I appreciate the advice and the examples. I've succeeded in
removing the "banding" but only though converting the a small subsection
of the DEM into a point vector (with r.to.vect) and then back to a dem
(with r.surf.rst).

It's a working, though suboptimal solution as it takes my Gen 1 MacBook
(2 GB of DDR2 SDRAM and 2 Ghz Core) several hours to create the vector
and then recreate a 1 by 1 degree DEM (the SRTM 90 tiles are 5 by 5
degrees-which I subdivide or suffer GRASS' code 12 error).

Cheers,
Patrick