[GRASS-user] Re: How to merge rasters using feathering/blending ?

Michael Perdue michael_perdue at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 28 14:24:19 EST 2011

In GRASS, one thing you can try is to normalize your data so the variations from scene to scene are minimized. ie, run a linear regression between overlapping maps and then use the coefficients to normalize one of the data sets. However, it is tedious and doesn't work well if the two images arn't well correlated to begin with.

A second option is to switch to OSSIM (another open source project) for the mosaicing task. It has a number of tools for feathering, blending and histogram matching. It's all fairly automated and straight forward to use.

A third option is enblend. It uses multi-resolution splines to blend images together. From my own experience, it does the best job at blending Ortho's together, but it's not geographically aware, which means that you need to do some hacking to develop a workflow that you can use to maintain/re-establish a spatial reference system.