[GRASS-user] v.to.rast gives empty raster layer

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue May 3 09:34:03 EDT 2011

On 03/05/11 10:20, Micha Silver wrote:
> On 05/03/2011 09:11 AM, Hanlie Pretorius wrote:
>
>> Hi Maris,
>>
>> Thanks, your suggestion worked. With the region's resolution set to
>> 5m, I got some output.
>>

> Hi Maris:
> Sorry for butting in on this, but I don't understand why the region
> resolution should make any difference to v.to.rast??
> Would you mind to explain?

 From the v.to.rast manual:

"v.to.rast will only affect data in areas lying inside the boundaries of
the current geographic region. Before running v.to.rast, the user should
therefore ensure that the current geographic region is correctly set and
that the region resolution is at the desired level."

And, more generally, from the Raster data processing intro page:

"As a general rule in GRASS:

    1. Raster output maps have their bounds and resolution equal to
those of the current computational region."

Moritz