[GRASS-user] v.to.rast gives empty raster layer

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Tue May 3 09:47:39 EDT 2011

On 05/03/2011 04:34 PM, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> On 03/05/11 10:20, Micha Silver wrote:
>> On 05/03/2011 09:11 AM, Hanlie Pretorius wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Maris,
>>>
>>> Thanks, your suggestion worked. With the region's resolution set to
>>> 5m, I got some output.
>>>

>> Hi Maris:
>> Sorry for butting in on this, but I don't understand why the region
>> resolution should make any difference to v.to.rast??
>> Would you mind to explain?
>
> From the v.to.rast manual:
>
> "v.to.rast will only affect data in areas lying inside the boundaries
> of the current geographic region. Before running v.to.rast, the user
> should therefore ensure that the current geographic region is
> correctly set and that the region resolution is at the desired level."

Thanks, Moritz
What I'm trying to understand is the question about resolution. Would
you expect, as
Hanlie indicted, to get *no output* in the raster because of too course
resolution?
He claims that at 20m x 20m v.to.rast of a line feature created all NULL
cells, but at 5m x 5m the lines did appear in the raster.
??

> And, more generally, from the Raster data processing intro page:
>
> "As a general rule in GRASS:
>
>    1. Raster output maps have their bounds and resolution equal to
> those of the current computational region."
>
> Moritz

Micha Silver
Arava Development Co. +972-52-3665918
http://www.surfaces.co.il