[GRASS-user] GRASS on SSHFS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Dec 9 14:52:44 PST 2012

Daniel Lee wrote:

> I'm working on a server that unfortunately does not have GRASS installed on
> it. In order to work on my large amounts of data there, I've mounted the
> external file system with ssh using SSHFS. This works fine and I can read
> and write data without problems.
>
> I've made a GRASS location on that server, which also worked fine, and
> creating all of the locations and mapsets using the GRASS GUI worked
> without a hitch. But every time I try to perform any command within a
> mapset, I get the following error:
>
> ERROR: MAPSET PERMANENT - permission denied
>
> It doesn't matter what the command is (g.region, g.list, g.gui) or whether
> the mapset is PERMANENT or another. I can create the mapsets, I just can't
> work in them.
>
> Just as an experiment, I changed the rights for the GRASS DB on the server
> to 777 recursively (there's nothing in there anyway since I can't do
> anything on it). This doesn't make a difference, though.
>
> Anybody know what the problem could be?

GRASS requires that you are the owner of the current mapset,
regardless of its permissions.

Ideally, you should try to persuade sshfs to maintain ownership
correctly (i.e. a newly-created directory should be owned by the user
who actually created it).

Failing that, you can modify G__mapset_permisssions() in
lib/gis/mapset_msc.c and re-compile.