[GRASS-user] Identifying Why Vector Map Lables Do Not Display

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue May 29 03:25:30 PDT 2012

On 27/05/12 23:43, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I've a vector map of areas created from the raster original using
> r.to.vect with the '-v' option. The vector map's attribute table has cat
> values which is sufficient for me to identify specific polygons. However,
> when displaying the map the lables do not appear despite the attr and cat
> options being selected.

You have to display the centroids to be able to see labels, i.e.

d.vect census_wake2000 display=shape,cat type=point,line,boundary,area,face

will not display the cat values, while

d.vect census_wake2000 display=shape,cat
type=point,line,boundary,area,face,centroid

will.

No need to use attr if all you want to see are the categories of the
features (unless your attribute table's cat column does not correspond
to the category values of the features, but represents a separate
attribute, then attr is needed, but cat not.)

Moritz