[GRASS-user] Help - Tabulate Areas (ESRI function) for GRASS

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Wed May 30 13:56:28 PDT 2012

On 05/30/2012 11:07 PM, Alejandro Coca Castro wrote:

> Hi, i have a raster file about land usage  (crops / urban areas ecc..)
>
> I have defined some zones around some given points of a vector layer
> and I'd like to calculate the % of those areas occupied by each value
> of the raster file in order to make an estimate on the average usages
> of the selected areas.
>
> I know that in arcgis there is a function to do so called "Tabulate
> Areas", but I can't find such feature in GRASS.

I think you can use r.stats for this. First rasterize your (vector)
areas with v.to.rast. Use a numeric column for the "use=attr" option.
Then use r.stats with both the landuse raster and the zones raster as input.
So if you have a "landuse" raster, and a "zones" vector with i.e. a
"zone_id" column, then:

v.to.rast in=zones out=zones use=attr colu=zone_id
r.stats -p in=zones,landuse fs=, out=landuse_zones_percent.csv