[GRASS-user] r.contour failing?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Oct 19 02:30:52 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 18/10/2015 11:48, Markus Neteler ha scritto:
>> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>> I cannot get r.contour working. It always takes a lot of CPU, then
>>> crashes. Anyone has more joy?
>>> grass 7.0.1-2 from Debian sid.
>>
>> Please post your computational region settings (g.region -p).
>
> Hi,
> thanks for following this up. In fact, the region resolution was
> unrealistically high, so it's my fault - sorry for the noise.
> Nonetheless, there may be something interesting here:
> * IMHO the module should exit more gracefully in case of too high
> resolution, not crashing

The problem is to "guess" how much memory resources are available
which change continuously (i.e. RAM is naturally static but its
allocation not).

> * I did not use that particular location since long, and it is unclear
> how the resolution got so high - if this would be due to some upgrades,
> that would be unexpected and surprising. If I can collect more data on
> this, I'll keep the list posted.

Just check the "history" file of the mapset. Some previously issued
command will have set the computational region.
A candidate might be a g.region vector=vmap with an additional
(unneeded) res=value call (maybe from "Processing"?).

Best
Markus