[GRASS-user] wxNviz: decorations do not have any explanatory text and need 2D raster

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 19:59:09 PST 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 5:16 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trying to add some decorations (scalebar and North arrow) to 3D
> visualisations, I noticed the following:
>
> - Without a 2D raster map, no decorations appear. You have to display a 2D
> raster map, add decorations and then, if you do not want to visualize the 2D
> raster (e.g. because you just want to see a series of slices in a 3D raster
> you can uncheck the 2D raster in the Layers tab. Why the need for a 2D
> raster ? Are the two decorations defined based on that raster ?

Yes, the position is based on the surface. It could be changed I
suppose, but that's obviously more work.

> - Both decorations are without any annotation (no text indicating the length
> of the scale bar, no N on the arrow). Is this me missing something, or is
> this the way they work ?

The text have not been working for a long time. Rendering text in
opengl is not trivial as I realized when I was looking into that
several years ago.

Anna