[GRASS-user] measure distance on d.mon without g.gui?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 09:57:14 PDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Tyler Smith <tyler at plantarum.ca> wrote:

> I then want to interactively measure a distance between two points on
> the map. So I select the 'Analyze map' button, click and drag to draw my
> line, and ... nothing. (I used to do this from the command line via
> d.measure, which is gone now?) The line is drawn, but I get no output,
> either on the map, in the status bar, or in the terminal, to indicate
> how long the line is. The help suggests that the distance will be
> displayed in the command output window frame, but there isn't one - can
> I open this somehow?

With d.mon the things written to the Command Console tab in main GUI
(g.gui) are written to the stdout, i.e. they should be visible in your
command line. This was not possible in 6.4 with wxGUI but it is possible
with version 7.

Alternatively, if I start from

>   g.gui
>
> And build my map via the GUI, I do have a command output window where
> measurements are reported. But if I do this, I can't issue drawing
> commands from the command line anymore, and have to use the GUI.

You can actually use commands in the Command Console tab (including the d.*
command) but it is not the same as the standard command line (it has pros
and cons).