[GRASS-user] Importing data in .atx/.gdb format

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Tue Sep 13 22:24:38 PDT 2016

Rich Shepard wrote
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2016, Blumentrath, Stefan wrote:
>
>> Thus, you should be able to import your transport data (assuming it is
>> vector) with v.in.ogr. A FGDB is as you say also a folder, but if I am
>> not
>> mistaken you do not have to provide special files to OGR:
>> v.in.ogr input=your_FGDB_folder layer=the_relevant_layer
>> output=your_output
>
> Stefan,
>
>    This almost works -- using the GUI. I've no idea which file represnts
> the
> relevant layer.
>
>    Selecting File -> Import vector (v.in.ogr) opens the dialog box. There,
> change the source type radiobox choice from File to Directory, use the
> dropdown choice list for Source list format to OpenFileGDB, and select the
> Directory as ~/data/grassdata/ODOT2014.
>
>    The bottom checkbox of options doesn't matter because when I click the
> Import button a message box displays reading, "No layers selected.
> Operation
> canceled." That's because all layers were greyed out when I selected that
> directory.
>
>    When I try specifing source type as File grass does not like my
> selecting
> a filename with 'index' in the extension.
>
>> A list of available layers should be accessible like this:
>> v.in.ogr input=your_FGDB_folder -l
>
>> v.in.ogr input=~/data/grassdata/ODOT2014 -l
> ERROR: Unable to open data source
> </home/rshepard/data/grassdata/ODOT2014>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

As mentioned in an earlier reply before, GRASS GIS uses for import gdal
/ogr.

so have a look at www.gdal.org and check the 2 drivers for this filegdb
format how gdal /ogr handles this format.

The next step may be :

- ogrinfo your_filegdb_folder to see if your gdal /ogr installation is
capable to read this kind of data and if yes, to see which layer(s) are
inside this data

-----
best regards
Helmut