[GRASS-user] Evaluation of AW3D30 open access global DEM for flood modelling

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 23:49:04 PDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 1:41 AM, Laurent C. <lrntct at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Open-access global DEMs like SRTM are a staple in our GIS community.
> Last year the JAXA released a new product, the ALOS World 3d 30m
> (AW3D30).
> Using GRASS and itzï we've carried out an assessment of AW3D30 from
> the point of view of flood modelling, and compared it to lidar, SRTM
> and ASTER.

Very interesting study! I have a question about SRTM: in the paper you
write that you used SRTM version 1, but SRTM version 1 is practically not
used since version 2.1 has been made available. Since 2013, SRTM version 3
has been available:

http://dx.doi.org/10.5067/MEaSUREs/SRTM/SRTMGL1.003

SRTM version 3 is also the default for r.in.srtm.region.

Best,

Markus M