[GRASS-user] Evaluation of AW3D30 open access global DEM for flood modelling

Laurent C. lrntct at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 08:53:34 PDT 2017

Hello Markus,

Thanks for your interest.
By SRTM1 we mean the 1 arcsecond version of SRTM. As far as we know, it
comes in only one version.
We could make it more clear during the revision.

Best,
Laurent

On 19 Sep 2017 01:49, "Markus Metz" <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 1:41 AM, Laurent C. <lrntct at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Open-access global DEMs like SRTM are a staple in our GIS community.
> Last year the JAXA released a new product, the ALOS World 3d 30m
> (AW3D30).
> Using GRASS and itzï we've carried out an assessment of AW3D30 from
> the point of view of flood modelling, and compared it to lidar, SRTM
> and ASTER.

Very interesting study! I have a question about SRTM: in the paper you
write that you used SRTM version 1, but SRTM version 1 is practically not
used since version 2.1 has been made available. Since 2013, SRTM version 3
has been available:

http://dx.doi.org/10.5067/MEaSUREs/SRTM/SRTMGL1.003

SRTM version 3 is also the default for r.in.srtm.region.

Best,

Markus M