[GRASS-user] Spyder IDE with GRASS

Moody, Alex Alex.Moody at idwr.idaho.gov
Fri Jun 1 10:25:56 PDT 2018

I occasionally try to use GRASS via the Spyder IDE but have not found a solution that works so far. I am working in Windows 7 with various versions of GRASS (72, 74, 75) through the OSGEO install. My attempts include

1.       Manually installing Spyder into the OSGEO python site-packages directory. When I run spyder after launching a GRASS session or from the OSGEO shell, nothing happens. I've seen the Wiki page discussing Spyder that mentions the command spyder -w . 2>dev/null &, though I am not sure what this is attempting to do

2.       Making a conda environment and using subprocess per the Wiki. I imagine this fails because GRASS isn't install in this environment. I wonder if there is a way to set the environment to use the GRASS python executable?

Has anyone had success using Spyder that could offer some further pointers?

Thanks,
Alex