[GRASS-user] v.clean: recommend tools and sequence

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 09:04:56 PDT 2018

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 5:49 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2018, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> You may want to take a look here:
>> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Vector_topology_cleaning
>

> Markus,
>
>   After repeating v.in.ogr with larger snap thresholds until it told me it
> did as well as it could and I should now use v.clean, is there a tool that
> tells me when a polygonal map is cleaned as well as it can be?

After import with v.in.ogr, overlapping parts have a category value set in
layer 2. If you want to get rid off all overlapping parts, check with
v.category op=report if any centroids still have a category value in layer
2. Sometimes these areas can be cleaned away with v.clean tool=rmarea,
sometimes manual editing with the vector digitizer is needed.

Markus M