[GRASS-user] Convert vector to STVDS

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 16:30:36 PST 2023

Hello list,

I have a vector with 115284 lines. From db.select I see

| cat |  ID |       Date |
|   1 | 278 | 1990-07-10 |
|   2 | 278 | 1992-07-30 |
|   3 | 278 | 1994-08-29 |
|   4 | 242 | 1998-06-05 |
|   5 | 255 | 2005-03-03 |
|   6 | 255 | 1985-09-05 |
|   7 | 255 | 1986-09-08 |
|   8 | 278 | 1997-09-08 |

That is, 115284 cats and 291 IDs.

I'd like to work with this as an STVDS. I know how to go about this if it were all rasters, but am still (after years) wrapping my head around the GRASS vector format and power.

Can someone advise how I would go about importing this into an STVDS?

My first thought was to extract each line to a new vector. Obviously inefficient.

Perhaps each ID to a new vector, and then each line (each unique Date) for each of those vectors is moved to a new layer?

Thanks,

  -k.

P.S. Unrelated but somewhat related. Does STR3DS let me work with 4D data: 3D (xyz) rasters that then have a time component added? Or am I still limited to 3D data?