[GRASS-user] How to avoid Grass84 compiling against the system Python3.6?

Barry Keeling barryfoxbat1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 17:22:58 PDT 2024

Hi @grass-users,

I posted the following on libera.chat#grass but it seemed like there
isn't much activity on there (pls. excuse if I'm wrong on that).

I spent the day learning how to compile the grass8.4dev source, and
managed to get the app to compile, and fire up
but there's a glitch, it compiled against the system python which is
only v3.6 (not compatible based on REQUIREMENTS file)
and I don't know how to point it at python v3.11.

This is on OpenSuse 15.5 Linux, btw, and though the Grass application
windows work well, I get errors in the console related mostly to python,
when trying to use the various modules, for example using r.in.png.

I've tried per-user setting python3 aliased to v3.11 in my .bashrc, but
no luck Grass still shows v3.6 in Help/about/system ..

I'm wondering whether I should use update-alternatives approach, and
also wondering whether the problem might be related to wxpython3 being
linked to the system python and not v3.11.

I haven't compiled wxpython separately.

I'm just hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction :-)

Barry