[GRASS-web] Question on history of Raster Tiling in GRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Aug 31 11:50:56 PDT 2016

Carl,

I have forwarded your question to the grass-dev mailing list (you will
have a BCC copy).

For sure this matters:
https://grass.osgeo.org/programming7/segmentlib.html

which was already in the GRASS GIS 4.1 programmer's manual from 1993:
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass41/manuals/progman.ps.Z

Maybe more material will be dug out, see
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2016-August/082029.html

and hopefully subsequent emails in the next days.

Best
Markus

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Carl Reed <carl.n.reed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Hopefully someone knows the answer!
>
> I am reviewing some OGC documents related to Testbed 12 tiling experiments.
> In one of the draft OGC engineering reports there is a statement that raster
> tiling has only been around a decade or so. I immediately thought that GRASS
> probably had a tiling capability that has been available for more than 10
> years! So if anyone knows the history of tiling as a storage structure in
> GRASS, please let me know!
>
> FYI, I used GRASS way back in 1987/88 has part of an interoperability
> integration project between GenaMap and GRASS. As far as I know, this was
> the first service level integration between two systems on different
> computers to a common command interface. Good fun!
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Carl
>
> --
> Carl Reed, PhD
> Carl Reed and Associates
>
> Mobile: 970-402-0284
>
> "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know
> peace." Jimi Hendrix

Markus Neteler
http://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software
http://grass.osgeo.org