[winGRASS] Re: winGRASS digest, Vol 1 #6 - 2 msgs

Ian Baxter ian_baxter at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 22 23:24:04 EDT 2001

> Malcolm et al. might have some comments - we've been discussing ways of
> aligning the Windows XDriver source code with the other platforms to
> minimise impact on code maintenance, support and distribution, while
> maximising user base in a sustainable manner.

No joke man, I work for a government and you can write... ;-)

I think the question is the market you wish to have use your product. Win98
is a lot of home users, students and such - all people who have valid
reasons for using GRASS. The NT users are corporate, a bit more demanding,
but they BUY the CD if it's easier than re-compiling all the code, etc....
This pays the bills whilst playtime (the extra) goes to the people who will
use eventually. But it makes it easier to support the people who want to use
it now - and will financially support development through CD purchases and
so on....

> My suggestion to ease the load on Andreas as he prepares a WinGrass CD is
> that we just officially support NT for Grass 5.00 and separately
distribute
> __W98__ patched drivers as a small zip file clearly marked as "Thrill
> seeking test pilots only".  These executables can simply be copied over
the
> main distribution by interested users.

The easiest way to do it I think. A simple option in the install script
could do it, no?

> If user demand later dictates, then we can also officially support the
98/ME
> strand of Windows in subsequent releases.

Start small, then expand. If you take on too much, well... Ever hear the
fable of the monkey and the peas?
The problem is, there are several versions of NT - so which one would you
propose supporting? I would suggest 4.0/2000 as you largest installed user
base.

I'm in a JDP right now with Whistler and support for that product can be
easily done through the compatability mode of Windows XP. Developing for
XP/Whistler in native mode may be bit more of a challenge and push release
dates farther back for the CD...

I have a question about the CD, installers and such, but will take that
offline.