[winGRASS] problems with installing from sources and ash.exe

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Mon Sep 10 15:05:52 EDT 2001

Ivan,

Ivan Kautter wrote:

> Fellow list serv members,
>
> In attempting to follow the detailed installing from sources instructions, I
> came across an interesting problem.  At some point, it is required to move
> ash.exe and sh.exe, but as far as I can tell my installation of cygwin has
> no ash.exe, although it does have an as.exe.  Is it possible that this is a
> misnamed ash.exe?  If not, can someone direct me as to how I might install
> ash for cygwin?  Great work to port grass to windows!  Keep us the good
> work!  Thanks.

Mike Thomas already answered your question. But i wrote this before
noticing.

Do not move/remove as.exe. This is the assembler and really needed
to compile anything.

The cygwin setup changed a lot since i wrote the installation
instruction, i just noticed that i have no ash.exe around too. You do
not need ash.exe, so leave out this step. It _should_ work, but you may
have to fix the xterm termcap entry (repeatedly described here on the
list) and fix the xterm installation. It is a bit of a problem that
cygwin and XFree86 are moving targets and change weekly (often without
official announcement). So there is not much sense in writing a FAQ.

Right now i expirience problems with the new bash shell (upgraded
today). The screen is sometimes garbled with stray output.

HTH,

Andreas

url: http://mitglied.tripod.de/AndreasLange
mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net