[winGRASS] problems with installing from sources and ash.exe

Mike Thomas miketh at brisbane.paradigmgeo.com
Sun Sep 9 19:32:37 EDT 2001

Hi Ivan.

Ash.exe is actually "/usr/bin/sh.exe" and is about 67K.  Ash is used by
Cygwin as a small fast starting shell for scripts instead of GNU Bash.exe
(about 460K, much larger, much slower to start).

Sometimes "bash.exe" is copied to "sh.exe" because it is more comprehensive
and stable, but I suspect that this may not be necessary these days.

As.exe is the GNU assembler (a programming tool) - definitely not some kind
of shell and definitely not to be renamed if you want to recompile Grass.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.